July 01, 2012

Homemade Sweet Potato Pie

Sweet Potato Pie reminds me of my sister, Thanksgiving & Christmas...all at once. I just started making this pie this past year & they are a big hit with my family. This weekend, I made two, one for now & I froze one for another day.

I follow an old recipe from the Down Home Cookin cook book published by Bethel A.M.E. Zion Church's Mass Choir umpteen years ago. Here's how you can make one for your family.

2 large (2 c.) sweet potatoes                    
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt                                               
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon                           
1 c. milk
2 tbsp. margarine                                    
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (deep)

Prepare the sweet potatoes by peeling, dicing & boiling them until they are tender. Drain. In a bowl, beat the eggs into the potatoes, one by one. Add sugar, salt, spices & milk. Add margarine to mixture & blend. Pour into an unbaked pie shell & bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees & bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until filing is firm.






No comments:

Post a Comment