May 02, 2009

The Red Piano Too

During my visits to St. Helena, South Carolina, one of the main attractions me the Red Piano Too Gallery. When I entered the gallery for the first time, I was immediately captivated by the friendly atmosphere and the amazing array of art. I developed a longing for displaying my jewelry and paintings in the gallery. It's been almost a year now and my creations have found a home, in addition to Etsy.

From the Red Piano Too Gallery website, the owner, Mary Mack, tells about the history of the building where the gallery is located and the area in which it operates.

The Red Piano Too Gallery is located in a 2,400 sq. foot building which was originally built about 1940. The structure was renovated in 1999. African-American landowners and farmers founded the Co-operative after studying land use and agricultural techniques at Penn School. Penn School was the only school for freed former slaves that survived reconstruction. These island leaders from Penn School, traveled to Nova Scotia, Canada where they learned about agricultural Co-operatives from Canadian farmers. The purpose of the Co-operative was to provide a market for the Island's agricultural products, and to provide, at a reasonable price, materials and supplies to area farmers. It was the first agricultural Co-operative of its kind in South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment